Saturday, August 16, 2014

Searching for stories about the 313th Machine Gun Battalion

I am interested in hearing from anyone that may have had a relative (father, grandfather, uncle, etc.) who served in the 313th Machine Gun Battalion during World War I.  This unit was part of the 80th Division A.E.F. also known as the Blue Ridge Division.

The 313th MGB trained at Camp Lee before heading to France. They arrived in Fance in June 1918 at Brodeaux. They served in places like Picadry, St. Mihiel, and the Meuse-Argonne.

My grandfather, Andrew Capets, was in "C Company" of the 313th MGB. I am in the process of collecting stories, diaries, journals, photos, or any artifacts that will help tell the story of ALL these men.  As we approach the 100th anniversary of the events that led these men into war, I hope to be able to share my findings with other families or anyone interested in learing about the events of that time. 

A large contingency of these men came from Erie PA during the organization of the unit.  After the war, the men created a social club on Peach Street in Erie, Pennsylvania called the 313th Machine Gun Battalion Club.

I have heard from a few family members already and plan to share their information for all see. Thank you for your interest in our military history and your interest in the service of the men of the 313th M.G.B.

Andrew Capets




1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing a picture of my fathers uncle Peter Ganza or may be listed as Gauza holding an artillery shell that was on the wall in the club. Does anyone have access to photos from WW1

    ReplyDelete