Thursday, August 21, 2014

Battalion Reunions



My grandfather, Andrew A Capets, is standing in the back row directly under the number 55. He was only about 5'2" in height. This photo was taken in September 1975. It would be the last reunion my grandfather attended. He passed away less that a year later (May 1976).

I had this photo on line under the fold3.com website and was contacted by someone who also had a grandfather in this unit - Jim Agostine saw this photo and sent me a note. I emailed him back and asked, "where is your grandfather in the photo?" The response was "The man standing next to the man under the 55, by the American flag, is my grandfather. Luigi Agostini."   I had the feeling this was not a coincidence.

The 1975 photo above was in an envelope addressed to my grandfather with a return address for Leroy E. Welk, 9th Street, Erie PA. Mr. Welk was also a member of the 313th MGB. Other men in this photo (front row, third from the left, Clifford MacPherson).

I am grateful to Jim Agostine for sharing with me a copy of this 1938 reunion photo.

The photos from 1945 and 1969 show the men standing outside the Peach Street Club. The club was located at the present day "King's Rook Club" on Peach Street, Erie PA.

In this 1969 photo it is not hard to find Andrew Capets in the back row, far right, second from the right.

This 1945 reunion photo below was sent to me from Andy Specht who had a great grandfather in the battalion - Charles Vermeire. Andy sent me a few photos of Charles Vermeire in uniform that I will add here in the future. Thanks Andy - Semper Fi.  

Joe Wykoff of www.historyandmemorabilia.org had this 1941 picnic reunion photo below on his site, as well as other "period" photos of the unit that you should also check out if you have a family connection to the 313th Machine Gun Battalion.
This reunion photo does not allow you to zoom in to see the faces well enough to identify the members. Chris Knecht Sr pointed out on Joe's Facebook post that Stephen Schemeck is in the front row, 6th from the right.  Another person that stands out to me is in the center of the photo, back row, Lt. Otto Leinhauser. Leinhauser was one of the tallest members in this unit.

If you notice the ribbons the men are wearing in the 1945 photo above, they were name tags and ribbons generally given out at the reunions. My grandfather had several ribbons that were passed down to me. Here is an example from the 50th reunion:
Two more reunion photos (1944 and 1950) shared with me by Chris Knecht Sr appear below:





No comments:

Post a Comment